Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

An important residency


I was recently graced with illness.  I say graced because once I got over being upset about having to down tools and do nothing but rest and recover (and graze on maple cookies, go figure), I shifted into another gear.  I went on an important residency of mind, of spirit, of thought and of reflection.  Much of my time over the past years has been spent at events, painting specific places for a specific purpose.  Don't get me wrong ~ I enjoy that very much.  However, I realize that the window of time is becoming statistically shorter and I need to make critical decisions about where and what I want to paint.  I am particularly drawn to water, particularly to the marshes, the sea and the rivers.  Perhaps that is because I am intrigued with the reflection of light on the water and what happens when the slightest breeze ripples the surface.  I am also drawn to vast, open landscapes such as we had in Namibia, with their seeming view to eternity.  I have drawn up a personal list of places I want to find a way to visit for a week or two so I can get out with my canvas and paints at different times of day to record the amazing changes that take place ~ so often unnoticed.  Painting on location puts me in direct touch with a very special inner place of peace and I intend spending more time there. (If you have a view of these places you'd like to share, please let us know). 

At the end of this year I have a three person exhibition of paintings of the Barrier Islands.  I have been privileged to stay as Artist in Residence on Sapelo Island and absolutely loved it!  I'll be posting more during the year about my adventures there, and I'll be posting more stories about other residencies as well.  Meanwhile I'm back at my easel and am loving it!

~Mary Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment