Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Observation


I'm still pondering the aspects of nature we studied during our recent residency.  As we had no production deadlines we were relaxed and able to spend as long as we wanted exploring different aspects of the world around us, noting how they appear from every angle and in differing light.  One of my passions is painting water.  I never cease to be amazed at how many colors one sees on (and in) the water depending on the weather, the angle of the sun, the wind and the color of the sky.  This photo is a perfect example, and something I might include in teaching observation in my painting classes.  From one angle the water appeared an inky black with reflections of tea near the rim.  From this perspective it was most inviting (except for the snakes and gators, of course) and so much deeper than the sky!  As we  wound around the channel we could get a glimpse of how much water was around us and how the color kept changing. It was interesting to watch as the wind would approach and suddenly, one by one, the color of each of the patches of water we could see would change.  Note the color of the water in the distance.  A minute before I took this photo, the water in the distance was almost colorless.  The wind picked up and it completely changed.  We see this so often when we are painting on location, but I am usually working so quickly before the light changes that I don't always take the time to really study what I am seeing and watch the many colors of its changing. 

As I put the final touches on my prairies paintings for the Six Artists Six Prairies event on February 25, I am planning my paintings from our Merritt Island residency.  Thank you so much to our gracious hosts for giving us this priceless opportunity to further develop our artistic awareness.


Mary Jane Volkmann

No comments:

Post a Comment