Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Fair Oaks Project- Fairy Houses




Notes From My Residency Journal


Being an artist in residence is not just about being a painter. Being a steward is part of the package. I roam the  land every time I go to Fair Oaks, looking for trees down, trash left by a careless visitor and checking that the neighborhood livestock have not wandered onto the property. The owner and staff have so much to do, they don't have as much free time as I do. I like to help them in small ways when I can. My next Fair Oaks project is to build some Fairy Houses around the woods and fields. Fair Oaks has long had fairy residents in Holy Ground Field. They make fairy rings in the grass and I can feel their presence there from time to time. I think some homes for them would be a good idea. Thankfully, Rick is a patient man who allows me to do fun projects on his land.

My favorite fairy houses are the all natural ones. I'm not crazy about the fancy store bought varieties. I have begun to gather materials to build the houses. My father was a wood worker/machinist. I think he instilled the love in me to do projects. I'm  not skilled with tools, but I have figured out how to use pre-made construction, like bird houses, baskets, and cardboard boxes as the buildings and cover them with natural materials for roofing, walls, doors and windows. I can use a hammer and nails and wood glue, so I have the plan.

Here are some materials I use for the houses:

tree bark
pine cones
dried and pressed leaves like Sycamore,Magnolia and Maple. Large leaves that can be dried flat work the best for wall covering, floor rugs, and roof tiles.
pebbles
sticks
popsicle sticks
seashells
Spanish and decorative mosses
grapevines
cardboard
wood scraps
clay pots
tape
hammer
wood glue

These little houses are left in the elements to gradually break down, so they will need to be rebuilt from time to time. That is part of the fun. I'm looking forward to building these houses as a project. I will leave a tiny painting on an easel in my favorite one.

No comments:

Post a Comment