Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Crystal River Reidency Day 2 07/24/12

Marshes at the Daly Home

Marsh Sky at the Daly Home

Ozello Pines and Palms


Notes From My Residency Journal

Today I headed out early for breakfast at Grannys. It was recommended by my sponsor. It is just the kind of place I love, not a franchise. It’s good country cooking with corned beef hash, real home fries, and biscuits and gravy. What can I say? I’m from the South.

After breakfast I headed down to Ozello for the morning. Ozello is a tiny village down on the marshes, between Crystal River and Homosassa Springs. I’ve been going there for about ten years to enjoy the marsh. In nice weather I often paint there. Too hot today, so I spent my time taking reference photos and exploring. I am beginning to see signs of development there, which is distressing. I wish so much that places like Ozello and the Ormond Loop could be saved for the future generations. 

There are miles of cabbage palm hammocks, red cedar trees, and canals which run through the marsh. It is a very narrow two lane road so it is difficult to spend much time with the camera.  About half of my photos were not good, but I did get several that will help me later in my studio after this residency.

These Florida marshes are precious and essential for wildlife and ourselves, if we are to have a Florida that anyone wants to live in. There is a peaceful quality to the marshes to me. They are timeless and beautiful.

 The Ozello trail is on the west side of US 19, between the two towns. It is about 9 to 15 miles long depending on how many side road trips you take.

I stopped at the library to blog about the trip and then back to the house for a tuna sandwich. I like to eat out for breakfast every day and then at home for the rest of the day.

Then it was out to the porch to finish one painting, do another and start tomorrow afternoon’s painting. It rained early at lunch time and cleared out quickly for an afternoon in the sun. The marshes came alive with color, as you can see in my sky painting today. More to come….

No comments:

Post a Comment