Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bird Island Mini Residency Day 1

I am on Bird Island for the weekend. I have no way to show you images yet, but I'll do that when I return to my studio.

I am here as a guest with 9 other painters, from the Oak Hammock Plein Air Group. We arrived by boat yesterday with lots of painting equipment. Warren and Patsy Nelms, our hosts, have a big rolling cart that goes down the dock to haul supplies to the house. It is a big rambling cozy home with lots of space.

We had a great lunch of cold cuts and fruit.  With peppermint ice cream. I headed out to paint right away, doing a painting of an old Cedar with lots of tiny limbs. Great fun and practice.  My second painting for the day was a bunch of sea grapes. I love them and don't get the opportunity to paint them very often.

Dinner was spectacular, with smoked mullet dip, blue crabs, steamed shrimp, Greek salad and grits. I was in heaven. We hauled bean bag chairs down to the dock after dinner and lay in them staring straight up at the stars. I could have stayed all night if I had a blanket.

This morning we started the day with fried grits,bacon,sausage,pancakes and fresh fruit. Lord I love the South!!!

I headed over to the west side of the boardwalk to do a little painting of a large Oleander bush and the sea behind it. Soon we will leave for Horseshoe Beach to have lunch in a cafe, meeting other artists. All of the painters here are terrific.

The island itself is wonderful. I got very good news. Patsy and Warren are going to give me a week residency at the island in April 2013. I will be dropped off here and enjoy the luxury of spending a week on a private Island. I expect Captain Jack Sparrow will drop by for cocktail hour each night. ;>)

No comments:

Post a Comment