Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Smyrna Beach Residency


Notes From My Residency Journal

I have long believed that you must understand a place before you can begin to paint it well. For me, that means repeated journeys over a period of time to explore and begin to see the subtle nuances of a location. The above painting is the second for this year's residency. This year I began to compare my experience there from 2012-2013. 

There were many changes, including a much higher water level in the canals, and warmer weather in 2013. We have not really had a winter in Florida this year other than a mild freeze. it is like spring here and the trees are budding out in the marshes. There were the intense spring greens in trees, mixed in with the last of the fall color and the grays of winter. It was a riot of seasons rolled into one. The bird variety and numbers were down this year and the controlled burns altered the landscape greatly. 

I am feeling very comfortable in my residency house now. It is cozy and located in the historic neighborhood of old New Smyrna Beach. It is right around the corner from a good local breakfast restaurant and not far from the beaches. just a block or two from Canal Street as well as US 1, so navigation couldn't be better. I am so grateful to Louann Hall for this yearly opportunity. 

I have chosen about 10 images to work on for this years paintings from this residency and I will take my time painting along on them over the next several months. I am a huge fan of New Smyrna Beach, Canaveral National Seashore, and the Merritt Island National Wildlife Reserve. This year I was able to buy my senior pass which is 10.00 and for a lifetime in all national parks and monuments. Wow!! What a prize!! I'm so excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment