Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Big Talbot Island Residency -Day 5

Big Talbot House Dog Roxy- she has entertained me with her delightful personality this week. 
Rebault  Club Drive


Big Talbot Island State Park
Cusp of Evening
16x20 inches
Oil on canvas

Notes From My Residency Journal

This is the kind of day that Floridians wait for after a long, brutally hot summer. I started with a short tour of Ft George Island with my host Bonnie Barnes, dynamo of North Florida Land Trust. We met Marc Hudson the other dynamo, for breakfast at Nicole's. I have learned so much about conservation this week that my head is spinning with excitement! They have a Heritage Tree Conservation plan that I want to be a part of. You all know how much I love trees.

Nicole's is a favorite local restaurant. It is small but clean and the food was very good. I had bacon, eggs, home fries and toast. All good. The coffee was plentiful and our server was attentive. It is very close to the Ferry between the islands and Mayport. Good grub and excellent conversation is a great start to a day of adventure. 

After breakfast, I wandered down the coast to the Rebault Club. The drive offered spectacular views of the fragile and beautiful marshes. I stopped along the way to take many reference photos. I enjoyed that leisurely drive so much.

I headed north to Little Talbot Island State Park with a friendly park ranger who gave me the scoop on the island. The park is small but lovely, lots of sand dunes with terrific Red Cedars and Cabbage Palms. I was impressed with the extra wide bike path adjacent to the road and well designed pavilions with large parking areas.

This afternoon I'll enjoy one more painting and head back to my world of fields and farms. What a wonderful adventure!

 The North Florida Land Trust will allow me to return to continue my work in October of 2014. I can hardly wait to come back. I urge you to support their continued efforts to preserve these environmentally sensitive lands. They support beautiful birds and wildlife and our own healthy future. Kudos to them for their tireless work.

No comments:

Post a Comment