Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Residency at Big Talbot Island

Days 1 and 2

Day 1 was about arriving and getting settled into the house around noon. Not being aware, I set the house alarm off, which was "alarming!" I had to call the land trust director to turn it off. After I settled in I had some time to do a small painting before supper time. The view is spectacular of the back yard. As the sun went down over the marsh, I felt so lucky to have this opportunity. 

Day 2 started with a surprise in finding about 20 people on my doorstep at 8:30. Yikes! It turned out to be a class of naturalists who meet there regularly. I let them in and headed out the door. I stopped at the little deli/restaurant with the French name in the Omni resort shoppes on Amelia Island. It has a nice small menu for breakfast and the food is very good and the service excellent. 

 I headed out for a pleasant drive to Ft Clinch State Park. I ran out of time last year and I really wanted to explore there, so that was my planned destination for today. It was well worth the drive. It is a large park with great diversities of habitats, flora and scenery. It is pristine and well designed. I saw a nice bird exhibit by the fishing pier and the pier walk is lovely. It is the longest pier I've seen in a long time, with benches along the way.  The Fort is nice too, but mostly I enjoyed the scenery. The marsh and dune views are wonderful. Lots of shady walking space. 

I returned home to have lunch and then paint again, sharing the space with the class for their afternoon session. I learned some things about Florida mammals while I enjoyed painting. One of the group bought a painting, so that was quite nice. Now I will enjoy a peaceful evening and watch the sun go down again.  Tomorrow my friend Mary Jane arrives, so there will be much adventuring for the rest of the week. 
Pier at Ft Clinch State Park. 

Palms 2
10x8
Oil on panel

Ft Clinch


No comments:

Post a Comment